Sunday, November 11, 2012

Losing my Mojo...

I've lost my mojo and I don't know where to find it. My teaching "mojo" that is. Does anyone else ever feel it? Anyone else going through it right now?
I had to plan an integrated unit for a course I am taking. Only problem is, I feel like it has set my teaching back 20 years. I look at the activities planned and all I can think, "it's a theme. I hate themes." It isn't authentic. And I fear it won't be authentic for my students. Because if I don't like it, if I have no passion for it, how can I expect my class to?
I am missing something and I don't know what it is. The more I think about it, the more I struggle. It's like I have lost something and I can't figure out where it might be. And in the mean time, I am filling in blanks and putting out fires.
How do you re-ignite that teaching spark? How do you figure out what it is you need to do and fix it? I find I have so many questions and no real answers. I guess I will just have to keep trying and doing. Surely somewhere, sometime, or someone has the answer.

4 comments:

  1. Heidi here Carrie! I know exactly what you mean! This is the part of the year that all the newness of September is over and the whole year is still ahead!

    Lack of inspiration happens to the best of us- and I'd go as far to say it's part of the process! You are an innovative, creative, fun and wonderful teacher! You will find that mojo! Theme or no theme, YOU ROCK! Keep going! And remember the best inspiration comes from those little kids who just think YOU are the best thing in the world!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you posted this Heidi. Another wise friend of mine said basically the same thing. Listen to the children, get your magic, spark, from them. Thank you Heidi!

      Delete
  2. I think just getting a new idea or doing something you have not done for awhile helps re-ignite that spark.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Come visit me at toddlersthroughpreschool.com.

    Cathie J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! I do think part of my malaise is that I feel like I am doing the same thing over and over again. Time to find a fresh new take on it all!

      Delete